Advertising and Chinese Society
- Impacts and Issues
Unlike those on a commercial slant, this book provides readers with an understanding of the two-way relationship between advertising and Chinese society.
Major issues addressed in this 14-chapter volume include:
- Rising consumerism
- Consumers' attitudes towards advertising and reactions to advertising appeals
- Cultural messages conveyed in advertisements
- Gender representations
- Sex appeal
- Offensive advertising
- Advertising law and regulation
- Advertising to children and adolescents
- Symbolic meanings of advertisements
- Public service advertising
- New media advertising and its social impact.
Contributed by a group of prominent scholars on Chinese advertising research from the fields of communication, journalism, and marketing, this book resorts to a variety of research techniques including:
- Content analysis
- Survey, experiment
- Semiotic analysis
- Secondary data analysis
The book aims at enhancing the sensitivity of scholars and practitioners interested in Chinese advertising to its social ramifications.