The Good Paper
THE GOOD PAPER is a handbook for students in higher education programmes who are writing BA dissertations, master s theses, project reports, research papers or other essays.
If you would like to learn more about the fundamentals of paper-writing, then use the guiding principles set forth in THE GOOD PAPER:
- What are you asking? The paper s research question (formulation of the problem)
- Why are you asking it? The purpose/aim of the paper - e.g., its use
- Where do you find your answer? The empirical basis, material, data, phenomena behind the paper
- What do you use to get the answer? The tools of the paper: Philosophy of science, theory, concepts, methods
- How are you asking the question? The paper s procedure, approach
Learn more about
- quality criteria
- structure and elements
- using theory of knowledge
- information searches and referencing
- academic writing
- writing processes
before you go to a supervisor or the library. And before you submit your article!
THE GOOD PAPER, now in its 5th edition, has been continuously revised and updated since 1997. It was written by experts on academic writing, study skills, information searches, and philosophy of science. It is filled with examples from good papers and has question sheets with activities to help you on your way toward writing a good paper. All the question sheets and activities may be downloaded from tgp.samfundslitteratur.dk
"A brief scan of the contents list immediately marks this book out as quite different from most Study Skills books available from UK publishers. It is refreshing to see the detail and depth of analysis that is included. There is an intellectual rigour that you rarely see in books aimed at undergraduate students. Notions of argumentation, rhetoric, and metacommunication are introduced and explored. (...) The result is a book I would happily recommend to staff and students."
- Cathy Malone, Journal of Pedagogic Development, Centre for Learning Excellence
NB: For en mere udførlig indholdsfortegnelse, vælg 'Kig i bogen' herover.
FOREWORD TO THE ENGLISH VERSION 15
READING GUIDE 17
1. GOOD PAPERS IN HIGHER EDUCATION GENRES AND QUALITY
2. WRITING PROCESSES OF RESEARCH PAPERS 65
3. SMALLER HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS, ONE-WEEK
ASSIGNMENTS, SET EXAMS ESSAYS 91
4. FORMULATING A RESEARCH QUESTION: FROM TOPIC TO FOCUS
AND QUESTION 105
5. LITERATURE AND INFORMATION SEARCH FOR YOUR PAPER 141
6. READING AND TAKING NOTES FOR YOUR PAPER 163
7. SOURCES IN YOUR PAPER 173
8. DATA IN THE PAPER 207
9. THEORY, CONCEPTS, METHODS AND RESEARCH DESIGN (= THE METHOD OF YOUR RESEARCH) 223
10. THE PAPER S STRUCTURE AND ELEMENTS 253
11. THE PAPER S ARGUMENTATION 299
12. CLEAR AND ACADEMIC LANGUAGE 321
Bestil pensumeksemplarEr du underviser, har du mulighed for at bestille et pensumeksemplar af bogen.Gå til bestilling
Du er altid velkommen til at kontakte os på email@example.com eller på telefon: 44 22 38 80.